News and Press Releases
- Super-Earth joins ranks in life-supporting zone (11/12 Tuomi, Jones, Pinfield)
- UKIRT discovers impossible binary stars (07/12 Nefs, Pinfield, RoPACS)
- Ultracool companion helps reveal giant planets (05/12, Pinfield)
- New planet record suggests our solar system is normal (04/12, Tuomi, Jones & Pinfield)
- CAR Nuffield Bursary Summer student Jemma Goldstein wins runner up prize in "Young Scientist of the Year Award" at The Big Bang Science Fair 2012 (04/12, Lucas & Pinfield)
- Herschel's new view on giant planet formation (03/12, Riaz)
months' worth of Sun photos in one incredible shot (and all done with a pinhole camera made from a beer can). (01/12 Valkenborgh, Jones).
- UH student Regina Valkenborgh's unconventional picture is selected as NASA’s Astronomy Picture
of the Day (APOD) for 2012, January 21. (01/12 Valkenborgh, Jones).
- A tale of tails (12/11 Brinks, Scott).
- LIDAR commissioned at Bayfordbury (06/11 Campbell, Jones).
- Leading experts explain how far the field of exoplanet detection has advanced since the
first confirmed detection in the early '90s (06/2011 Jones, cited on 3 other sites).
- Image of the Sun taken at Bayfordbury Observatory broadcast on Sky at Night (05/2011 Campbell).
- RoPACS Astrium collaboration helps ECHO mission to ESA selection (02/2011
- UH astronomers discover
coolest objects outside solar system (01/2011 Marocco).
- New Way to Peer at Distant Galaxies (11/2010 Bonfield).
- The Coolest Brown Dwarf: A Neighbour in Space (11/2010 Lucas).
- Astronomers find "Rosetta
Stone" for T dwarf stars (11/2010 Day-Jones, Pinfield, Burningham, Napiwotzki, Zhang, Murray, Catalan, Gomes).
- Ancient Star Poses Galactic Puzzle (10/2010 Gallagher, Ryan).
- First UK Cameras to Scan the Night Skies (09/2010
Campbell, Jones, Martin).
- UH/Chile team wins the largest VLT X-shooter allocation (8 nights) of Period 86 (07/2010
Day-Jones, Pinfield, Zhang, Burningham, Lucas).
- CAR-Astrium collaboration on developing technology for space (Pinfield,
- EU Fellowship project publishes article in European R&D Projects magazine (06/2010 Gálvez-Ortiz,
- PhD student and supervisor at Chines Embassy
awards ceremony (05/2010 Zhang, Pinfield).
- China award for outstanding PhD student at UH (03/2010 Zhang).
- Youngest Extra-Solar Planet Discovered (02/2010
- Red dwarf / red giant binary found in UK / China collaboration (02/2010
- Astronomers discover cool stars
in nearby space (01/2010 Lucas, Burmingham).
- Professor James Hough awarded Herschel Medal (01/2010
- New planets found around Sun-like stars (12/2009 Jones, cited on 12 other
- VISTA: Pioneering new survey telescope starts work (12/2009).
- University of Hertfordshire
probes the Universe (12/2009 Jarvis).
- MoU signed bewteen UH and the South African MeerKAT project (11/09 Jarvis).
- Discovery of some of the most distant galaxies in the Universe (11/09 Hickey).
- Special relativity passes key test: new glimpses of space and time (10/2009
Granot, cited on 22 other sites).
- UH Astrophysics Summer student wins
international prize (03/2009 Pinfield).
- Unexpected discovery could impact on future climate models (02/09 Hough).
- Project Searches For Planets
Around Coolest Stars (01/2009 Pinfield, cited on 11 other sites).
- SERVS: the Spitzer Extragalactic Representative Volume Survey awarded 1400 hours of time on NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. SERVS will cover 18
sq.deg of sky with 12 sq.deg covering the UH led VIDEO Survey. The project was
led by Mark Lacy (Spitzer Science Centre), Matt Jarvis (University of Hertfordshire) and Duncan Farrah (Sussex), (12/2008).
- "Naked eye" gamma-ray burst was aimed almost directly at the Earth, link
to nature article (09/2008 Granot, cited on 3 other sites).
- Astronomers use infrared filters to get a clean view of black hole disks (07/2008).
- Marc Sarzi awarded a STFC Advanced Fellowship, to start October 2008.
- Is there anybody out there? Looking for new worlds (07/2008).
- Astronomy Picture of the Day - What is Hanny's Voorwerp? (06/2008, Jarvis).
- Evidence of role played by colossal black holes in ending star formation
in galaxies obtained (06/08 Sarzi, cited on 2 other sites).
- Strange Ring Found Circling Dead Star (05/08
Granot, cited on 20 other sites).
- Debris from galaxy Collision can be used as a Laboratory to Study Star Formation (06/08 Brinks).
- Stellar Birth in the Galactic Wilderness (04/08 Brinks, cited on 1 other
- Herschel Kilo-Degree Survey in which UH astronomers play a leading role, given the largest open time allocation of 600hours (Matt Jarvis co-leads
AGN Science, Mark Thompson co-leads Dust & Protostars)
- Astronomy Picture of the Day article to accompany a VLT colour fig of NGC 2770 - currently hosting a bright SN and the closest known GRB/XRF
astronomer expresses surprise at a claim that the polarized light from an EXP has been detected (01/2008 Hough).
- New X-ray source in nearby galaxy spawns mystery, alternatve
- New VLA Images Unlocking Galactic Mysteries (01/2008 Elias Brinks).